Last night the news reported that a man in Massachusetts attempted to melt amalgam (silver fillings) to extract the silver and make jewelry for his girlfriend. Unfortunately, when he attempted to do so, he also released the mercury that is contained within the silver filling. His girlfriend noted that he was acting very strange so she took him to the hospital and he is now in the intensive care unit hoping to survive!
His dog and his 3 cats have died and his house has been condemned due to the mercury levels being so high. His girlfriend and her daughter are now being treated for mercury poisoning, also.
Unfortunately, this is not the first case like this to occur. In Michigan, four members of a Lincoln Park family were killed after one member attempted to extract the silver from amalgam fillings. High levels of mercury were found throughout the house, including wrapped food inside the freezer. In the end, the entire house had to be demolished and disposed of in a hazardous waste landfill!